Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Last night I finally went to see The Dark Knight.

Wow.

I don`t think that movie could have been any better than it was. I was blown away. It seemed to me to be the most faithful adaptation of a comic book to film that I have ever seen. Not the story, mind you. That was written specifically for the film. It was the characters themselves that were true to the comic. Heath Ledger played a psychotic, destructive Joker; as opposite from Jack Nicholson's campy bright-purple-wearing character as one could get. Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman all reprise their characters very well. The only complaint I have would be about Maggie Gyllenhaal, who takes over Katie Holmes' character of Rachel Dawes. I'm sorry, but this woman could not act her way out of a paper bag. Other than that, the film is perfect.

If you haven't seen it yet, GO. Go right now. I'm serious. Well, finish reading this first.

Everyone should see this film, even if it's just to see Heath Ledger in his final role. That man COULD act his way out of a paper bag, a non-biodegradable plastic bag, and even one of those new environmentally friendly cloth bags and still bring the groceries in from the car. (What? Wait, I think I lost the handle on that analogy. Just go see the movie, okay?)

Oddly enough as I went to sleep last night, I wasn't thinking of the Joker trashing Gotham City and laughing maniacally. Images from one of the previews kept flashing through my mind. The preview was for a movie called The Watchmen, and it's a film I've unknowingly been waiting to come out for 18 years and knowingly been anticipating since I found out it was in production last year. You can see the preview here.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this one, The Watchmen is probably the greatest graphic novel of all time. I recieved it for Christmas when I was 13 years old (a story I'll save for another day.) Since then it has been my favorite comic and I've probably read it well over 100 times.

I won't get into the story or how I feel about it or anything like that because then I'd be here all night. Again, stay tuened for another entry on that one.

Instead just some quick thoughts about the trailer:
- Dr. Manhattan seems REALLY blue to me. This isn't a complaint; I have no complaints about this trailer. It's just that after reading the graphic novel for so many years, you get used to the way the characters look. I just didn't expect him to be so glowy.
- It looks like Zack Snyder is using his slow-then-fast-then-slow camera technique that he perfected in 300. I hope he doesn't use too much of this. It worked well for 300, but this is something completely different.
- Visually, the film looks great. As close to the comic book as one can get, really. Although the only character that looks exactly like the comic is Rorshach. All the others have had their spandex (it's a privilege, not a right!) costumes made more textured for a better on-screen look.
- The final scene in which Dr. Manhattan constructs his Mars palace just blew me away. I mean, that is exactly as it was presented in the comic.

I don't mean to sound critical about this trailer. As I realized what it was, sitting in the Polo Park theatre, I almost shat myself. (Well, not really. I just wanted to use the word "shat" in a sentence.) I just want to love this movie so much that I find myself over-analyzing it just a bit.

Arrggh! I have to wait eight more months before I can see this! I'm sure I will post on this subject again, as I have a lot to say about it. That's it for now, though

Buh-bye.

D.

No comments: