Saturday, July 5, 2008

The force is strong with this one.

So last night, Jack was pulling his usual stall techniques ("I pick out story, Daddy," I brusha teeth, Daddy,") for keeping me from putting him to bed, when he actually asked for something reasonable: "I needa milk, Daddy!" Who am I to refuse the boy his bedtime glass of milk? So I took him to the kitchen and gave him some milk, with a firm reminder that once he was done, it was bedtime. He acknowledged my terms with "My milk!" and went to watch some TV.

I joined him and quickly found Empire Strikes Back playing on Spike which I started watching simply to see if I still knew all the lines. (I do, how lame is that?!)

What amazed me is that Jack was extremely interested as well. When Yoda came on the screen, he would say "What's that, Daddy?"

"That's Yoda, my son," I replied.

"Dats O-da," he parroted.

Same goes for C-3PO, Chewie, anything else that looked out of the ordinary (Which is lots, in Star Wars.) The boy was transfixed for at least twenty minutes. Anyone who has kids knows what a feat it is to keep a two-year-old focused on anything other than Dora and Backyardigans for more than five minutes.

He absolutely loved it, and I was a beaming proud poppa. His education of the Star Wars universe began last night, and hopefully it will be something that he keeps an interest in as he gets older. I admit that some of it was still stalling for bedtime (if his attention would wander, I would say "Bedtime, Jack," to which he would reply, "I watcha TV, Daddy!") but he really did like it.

I am a firm fan of the original trilogy and of the "prequels" to some extent. While the writing, acting, directing, characters and overall plots of the newer films generally suck, there is something to be said about having a backstory. As we watched Empire last night, I thought of how Darth Vader got to where he was and I found I liked knowing that he had once been human, with a weird little rat-tail haircut and a spoiled rotten attitude.

I cautiously look forward to the new CGI Star Wars movie coming out next month. Check out the trailer here. Hopefully it does not lick balls. If Lucas wants to go this way for future Star Wars movies/TV shows, all the power to him. He shoulda done it for the prequel trilogy. It was 99% CGI anyway.

So to sum up: Old Star Wars good, new Star Wars bad, my son likes Star Wars, and that's cool with me.

More on this as it develops,

D.

2 comments:

dapperdan said...

Okay, that link didn't work. Gimme a break, I'm just getting back into this! Just Google "Star Wars Clone Wars" and you'll find it.

The Shaftesbury Review said...

Glad to see that you're raising Jack on a steady diet of the classics, Dan!