Monday, August 27, 2007

and it begins....

Yesterday was my first day of school. Not that we did any schoolwork or anything, mind you. It was basically an information session where we were introduced to all of the instructors, received our class schedules and heard from a whole bunch of second year Cre Comm students about how awesome our first year will be. I found out that over the course of the next year that I will be: a) going on the radio to read the news and sports OR to host my own talk show if I can think of something interesting to talk about. b) writing a story (possibly more than one) for the school newspaper. c) learning how to produce a news broadcast, game show and talk show for television, and d) doing something only referred to as "the magazine project" which was spoken of by the second year students with the same tone of voice as one uses to describe a root canal, or watching the Nanny Diaries.

I also was taken on a tour of the campus which is really cool! If you've never been there, the RRC downtown campus consists of two city blocks in the exchange district with the "alley" between them converted into a giant atrium. Wherever they could, the designers kept as much as possible of the original buildings so you get this great mix of old school exchange district and brand spankin' new educational facility. There are flatscreen TVs all over the place, and I just get this great feeling walking throught the halls, like I'm doing something meaningful again. Plus, it is also equipped with a Tim Horton's, so I'm pretty much have everything I need here!

For the last few weeks, whenever I have talked to anyone about my going back to school, one of the most common questions I get is "are you nervous?" To that I always answer with a resounding "NO!" I'm really not. I only feel excitement about the next two years and about the career that I'm going to get out of this. I feel like I've finally gotten my head out of my ass and figured out what I want to do with my life. My only regret is that I didn't figure this out about ten years ago.

The other great aspect of this whole school thing is this: it feels awesome to not be working for DA MAN at a full time job for this first time since I graduated high school. I'm a poverty-stricken student!!! Woo hoo!!! Now I just hope my student loan goes throught in the next few weeks, or I'm screwed.....

No comments: